11.15.2007

i fell asleep thinking thoughts.

i fell asleep thinking thoughts,

I was in a house of someone I love. [my fiance, her dad's house, he's here, i see him but he's in a different room, i can see through the walls so i really don't mind that he's in a different room] I had no shirt on.[i'm so uncomfortable, where's my shirt?] I'm at the junction of about five sets of stairs.[i can smell my grandmother's stairs in her basement, these are those same stairs, only five of them, and i'm still scared of falling down the stairs with no railing and smashing my three year old bones on the concrete, i'm still so scared of cutting my ten year old skin on a sharp nail when i fall and getting tetanus, and i'm terrified that when i fall my fifteen year old self will be embarrassed, all at once]

I never did make it through the door of any of the stairs, but I could see through the walls fine, so I didn't mind so very much.[i'm so scared that i can't get through one of the damn doors. i am stuck here in this hole, if only i could get through at least one of them, i can smell my grandmother's kitchen on the other side, it's christmas there and thanksgiving through that one and i'm visiting her back from college and i smell the summer through that one and that one her dog is scratching under the door and that one i'm crying on the other side of because i'm upset i lost a toy and it's only in the other room but i just want to cry a little, and i don't blame me i'd cry too if i couldn't walk straight and couldn't remember my toys were in the other room, it's bad enough i'm under two feet tall.]

I never did make it to the top of any of the stairs, and never was turning out to be a long time, so I just left. I didn't exit the room through any doors, I just suddenly was a different place at the intersection of a hall[the hall didn't actually exist, and i knew this] and some stairs. I walked up another set of stairs, not one of the original sets of stairs, mind you, and as I walk through the door I interrupt someone I love on a cell phone. She didn't know how to react, actually, she wasn't expecting me and didn't really want company.[i was so embarrassed i wanted to talk to her but she was on the phone and it's rude, but the phone can wait anyway, i want to call my grandmother's house from here but know it won't work, i can't smell anything any more, i've moved on...] I knew she really wanted to speak to me, it was just not the right time. That was fine, actually, because her entire house was actually a library, so I walked through the books.[i couldn't read the books though, because i knew the second i started reading one i would wake up. never enough time to read books, is there]

You can only understand this analogy if you understand the concept of a slope field created in calculus. The slope field shows you all the possible answers to a differential equation. Each book was one point on the slope field.[but i didn't have enough time to read, i'd just wake up anyway.] This guy I used to work with shows up, and he has a beard now. I hug him.[i don't know why, i never hug anyone and don't know him that well.] He's doing something. Civil War reenactment, possibly; just something that requires a large group, which he had with him. A girl I have class with was with him.[i hugged her too; she was sad. she didn't feel any better because i only dreamed i hugged her, and i knew it didn't really happen.]

I never did see my fiance. I never did see the girl who[unbeknownst to me] owned the library after she left, talking on the phone.

To start out here and now in the house with the stair room[it's here as soon as i wake up i'll be back i know it where is this i can see it if only i open my eyes but i'm too tired i'm sleepy] and be able to smell so vividly the sights on the other side of the stairs[i remember that, i remember that too, i was so little, that was only yesterday but i was two years old and it was earlier today that i was fifteen and drove for the first time but it was a few weeks ago that i gave a speech in class but it has been years since i couldn't see over the countertop by myself how... is this], only to end up in a damn library[depository]. What a waste. The worst part was the annoying person on the phone[it was actually me] that kept telling my friend what I am like in the future.

That's none of anyone's business. I guess it's not even any of my business, since she took the phone away.

and i woke up feeling feelings.

No comments: