9.11.2007

Impacting the World? Why? Who am I to know? What motivation do I need?

I decided my first real blog should be based on my projects.

1. Impacting The World
This project excites me the most but makes me fear the most as well. Impact the world? How in the world do I do that? I'm a know-nothing little punk from a small town who has never accomplished anything. Even if I want to change something specific, where do I start? There are so many problems in the world that if I made a drastic change to one problem in the world a day for a year, I would probably still be in my hometown fixing issues and wouldn't even have started fixing things that matter globally. If, however, I started on a grand, global scale, by the time I fixed 10 problems 9 more would have started. Yes, I'm cynical. I love being cynical. But I also think I'm realistic. I want to help. I really do. You can't imagine how much I wish I could do.

"i want to do something... that matters!" Is my starting point. I do not know the path from there.

2. Why?
I like this topic better, because it is on the surface less introspective while in reality it impacts me personally much more than the first one. I could start off with the question I've asked myself for years and years: why do I want to believe and do things I know are wrong or false, but continue with them anyway? I am guilty of this so much myself, and others follow suit. Sometimes I argue things and do things I know I disagree with, but I persist, always. I have considered myself at one point or another a believer in dozens of different religions, even as I knew them false or erroneus. I have debated for the validity of horribly flawed moral conceptions even as I realized their lack of worth. I lash out in anger during arguments, fully realizing that this decreases my chances of winning.
Why?
I hate to doubt my "pre-pharmacy" plans even further, but I've always been much more interested in psychology. Oh well, eh? My hopes and dreams slowly die. So it goes. They are replaced with apathy and nightmares. This leads to my next topic.

3. Who am I?
If the "me" of now talked to the "me" of, say, middle school, he would be very disappointed in me. Maybe I would give him a lot of advice for high school. Make him proud of himself. Warn him of a few dangers. He would tell me he wants to be a psychiatrist.
"Well, you're going into pharmacy school soon."
"So I changed my mind and want to be a pharmacist?"
"Uh, well, no. You(I?) don't really want to be a pharmacist, I just...."
"I don't understand."
Neither do I.
I need to talk to somebody.
About exploring my major-changing opportunities.

4. Motivation
Why do I do what I do?

...

...?
"i want to do something... that matters."
I don't want my life to be wasted. I want to be worth more than the flesh I'm made of.

..I am content while others starve, and this isn't fair. I want to balance things out a little, if I can.

No comments: